Tuesday, October 26, 2010

National FFA Convention

A couple of weeks ago I recieved an email stating that any undergraduate students that were able and willing to volunteer as representatives at the Virginia Tech booth were welcome to go to the National FFA Convention with the Agriculture department. The idea sounded great, but I needed to know what costs were involved, and I would of course have to check with my professors. I replied to the email, stating that I was interested, and requesting more information. Turns out that the trip was entirely paid for, hotel and travel, and I would only need to provide money for meals. Luckily enough, all of my tests fell the week before Convention, so it worked out and I was able to go. I had a great time while I was there, as I got to speak with high school students considering Virginia Tech, and I got the opportunity to meet graduate students and ask them questions I had about graduate school. I remember going to the Virginia Tech booth last year, as a high school senior trying to narrow down the list of colleges, and speaking with a representative. It's exciting to think that I got to be that person for someone else!
So what have I learned from this experience? Take advantage of the opportunities presented to you. There are so many things that you can experience while you're here, so make the most of your time here. Get to know your professors. They are willing to help you and want you to succeed, as well as have fun. They will work with you so that you can take advantage of the opportunities presented to you. Go to class...if you're in class regularly, when you miss a day or two it won't make as big of a difference. In addition, get to know the people in class, so that you can ask someone for the notes that you miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment