Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chi Alpha

My Chi Alpha Small Group (Bible Study)
Having been raised in a Christian household that attended church every sunday, my religion has always been an important aspect of my life. I come from a very small town, and my church only has about 70 members in attendance on any given Sunday. When I arrived at Virginia Tech, I was overwhelmed by the amount of people on campus. I felt like I was lost in a sea of people. I felt the need to find a Christian group to associate with, and though I attend a Baptist church at home, the days the Baptist Collegiate Ministry meet did not seem to be working with my schedule. The second week of school, I went to Campus Crusade for Christ, and I really enjoyed the service. I had truly missed the fellowship and corporate worship, but there were still so many people. How could I ever find a church "family" when all the groups at Virginia Tech are so big? One of my friends from high school had been attending a small group Bible Studay with Chi Alpha, and she asked if I wanted to go watch the Boise State football game at her group leader's appartment. I agreed, and when I went, the girls I met were really nice. We decided to attend the Chi Alpha worship service the next week, and upon doing so, I knew that this was the place for me. There were about 50 people in attendance, and after the service, people talked to me and genuinely cared about who I was and how I was doing. I have since continued with both Bible Study and worship services at Chi Alpha, and this weekend I went on the Chi Alpha retreat in Gore, VA. Over the past couple of days I have not only strengthened my faith, but also met so many wonderful people in Chi Alpha that are a sort of family for me at Tech. I know that I can depend on them for anything I need.
What does this mean for anyone else? Find a group you identify with. Whether it's a religious group, a club, or a sports group, find a core group of friends. You can make friends in your classes, but often the best friends are those who have something in common with you. Also, don't settle with the first group you find. You may find the perfect one first, or you may not. Make sure. Try a few different groups you think you'll like, and then pick the one that suits you best. With so many different clubs and groups on campus, there's no reason not to have a part in at least one of them.

1 comment:

  1. Dani, Your advice is timeless. You must find a group that you identify with and share things in common-- whether its a religious group, club, etc. You have to be able to find your niche through meeting new people and trying new things, and also by continuing to do activities that are central to who you are as a person. Chi Alpha seems to be a fun group; it is great when you meet people for one reason (religion) and then you start to branch out and do other things together. That is how most relationships begin.

    ReplyDelete