Sunday, November 7, 2010

Strengths Based Career

My ideal career would be teaching high school agriculture, preferably in Central Virginia. To teach in Virginia, I must have my teaching license, which I can achieve through the graduate program offered by the Department of Agricultural and Extension Education here at Virginia Tech. As a teacher, my Developer strength will be well used, as I will be building up my students to reach their potentials. As the manager of the classroom, I would have responsibility for my students, as well as the curriculum for the class. My Achiever strength will push me to be my very best, and my Belief will help me to be fair to each student and uphold the standards and rules set forth by the school. Positivity would be a strength that would particularly come in handy, as it would help me enjoy each day, as well as create a constructive atmosphere that my students would look forward to being a part of. The Agricultural Sciences degree is a very good choice to prepare me for being an agriculture teacher, as I will need a broad background in agriculture in order to be an effective teacher. I will also need to know how to plan lessons and to communicate effectively to my students. One big obstacle as a teacher is trying to help students be successful who are apathetic. As a Developer, this will be particularly hard; to see the potential that they have, but see them wasting it, along with their time. In addition, as an Agriculture teacher, I will also have a position as FFA Advisor, which will require a great deal of commitment and another group to manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment